Following are the answers to a variety of commonly asked questions pertaining to the various levels of training that DAN Asia-Pacific offers. The FAQ’s are broken into the following:
- Questions for participants looking to undertake a Provider Level course;
- Questions for Instructors Conducting a Provider Level Course; and
- Questions for Instructor Level Training
Simply scroll through the list to view the category that is applicable to you.
Provider Level Training
FAQs for Trainees
- What courses are offered by DAN Asia-Pacific Instructors?
- Why should I do a DAN course?
- Who can undertake a DAN AP Provider course and what are the minimum requirements?
- I want to do a DAN course but there is not an instructor listed on your website in my area. How can I find an Instructor who is close by?
- How do I know if my Instructor is really a currently certified DAN Instructor?
- How much do DAN Provider courses cost?
- I did a DAN course a while ago and have not received my certificate. What can I do?
- Do I get a “C” Card from DAN for my Provider course?
- I would like to let DAN know how much I enjoyed my course. How can I do this?
- What languages are the DAN Provider course materials available in?
- Can I do any DAN courses online?
- I have lost my DAN certificate, how do I get a replacement?
- I did a course with a DAN Instructor and now I have received a Quality Assurance Questionnaire. Why do I need to return this to DAN?
FAQs for Instructors Conducting DAN Provider Courses
The DAN AP Instructor Manuals cover many of the questions asked by DAN Instructors. If you cannot find the answer you need in your Manual or this FAQ, please contact the DAN Training department
- I am a DAN Instructor who has just conducted a Provider course. What do I need to send to DAN?
- I am a new DAN Instructor how do I order materials for my DAN Courses?
- As a DAN Instructor can I include the DAN Instructor Logo on my website and on my print promotional materials?
Instructor Level Training
- I want to become a DAN Instructor. What are the pre-requisites for this?
- How much does it cost to become a DAN Instructor?
- I did my Instructor course with another DAN Office (Europe, America, South Africa or Japan) what do I need to do before I can teach in the Asia-Pacific region?
- I did my Instructor course with another DAN Office (Europe, America, South Africa or Japan) what do I need to do before I can teach in Australia?
- Why are my Instructor details not on the DAN website?
- What do I need to do to maintain an active teaching status?
- I am a DAN Instructor-Trainer who has just conducted a DAN Instructor course. What do I need to send to DAN?
Provider Level Training (Answers)
FAQs for Trainees (Answers)
DAN AP Instructors can offer a range of First Aid and Safety related courses. These courses include: Oxygen Provision for Diving Accidents as well as Oxygen for General First Aid, Advanced Oxygen Provision, First Aid Programs from Emergency Life Support (Level 1) and Apply First Aid (Level 2) through to Advanced First Aid (Level 3), CPR, Automated External Defibrillators, On-Site Neurological Examination for Divers and First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries.
2. Why should I do a DAN course?
DAN Training programs are well-respected courses for everyone not just for divers. DAN is a world leader in the provision of accident management training for the diving community, workplace and beyond. All of the DAN Asia-Pacific Courses follow the current ILCOR guidelines for resuscitation. In Australia, the courses conform to the guidelines of the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) and a number of them are recognised under the national training framework in Australia.
All DAN Instructors have to complete annual re-certification requirements in order to maintain the highest possible standards and are routinely subjected to quality assurance procedures.
3. Who can undertake a DAN AP Provider course and what are the minimum requirements?
To undertake a DAN Provider course you must have basic numeracy and literacy skills and be able to understand and read English (except where materials are available in other languages). You must also have the strength and agility to be able to manage CPR and other emergency situations. Some of the programs also have minimum age requirements (14 for Oxygen Provider and 16 for Advanced O2). For the Advanced Oxygen course you will need to have completed the DAN Oxygen Provider course.
DAN AP has hundreds of Instructors based throughout the Asia-Pacific region. The list on the website is very small. Email DAN Training to find out the contact details of Instructors in your area. Make sure you tell us where you want to do the course.
DAN AP Instructors are issued with an updated certificate each year. This certificate lists all courses they are authorized to teach. If you are not sure you can always contact the DAN AP Training Department
We do not set the prices for courses. The Instructor providing the course will advise you of the fee. This fee includes your materials and certification. There are no additional payments to DAN.
IN AUSTRALIA Your first step is to contact your DAN Instructor. Once DAN receives the course paperwork from the Instructor and registers the trainee all certificates are sent to the Instructors for them to sign and forward to trainees.
If your Instructor is not able to assist with your query then you should contact the DAN AP Training Department
OUTSIDE AUSTRALIA For an Oxygen Provider course you should have received your certificate directly from your Instructor when you completed the course. If this did not happen then contact the DAN AP Training department.
DAN AP does not provide “C” Cards for provider level courses. You will however receive a wall certificate this will be sent out to you when your registration is completed (except for people doing Oxygen Provider courses outside of Australia and NZ who will receive their certificate directly from their instructor upon completion of their course).
We love to hear about DAN Instructors who have done a good job. If you would like to share your thoughts about the course you completed feel free to email the DAN AP Training department. Also you can email us if you had an experience that was not as good as you had hoped – these emails help us to identify Instructors who are doing the right (and wrong) things so we can praise them (or fix the problems).
All DAN Course materials are available in English. We are also in the process of getting Chinese and Korean language versions of all DAN AP course texts.
There is provision for doing the theory component of the DAN AP Apply First Aid course online. You should discuss this option with your Instructor, as this option is not available in all areas.
Contact DAN AP Training and we can issue a replacement. There is a small fee for re-issuing the certificate.
These questionnaires are an important part of our Quality Assurance procedures. We need you to complete and return these to us so that we can ensure that all our Instructors are maintaining the standards of these courses at the highest levels.
FAQs for Instructors Conducting DAN Provider Courses (Answers)
For ALL DAN courses you need to send to us:
- Completed Student Roster listing all students
- Completed Registration form for each student
- Completed Exam answer sheet.
All orders for DAN Materials need to come through the DAN Head Office (or DAN Service Office). You need to send a written order (email or fax is fine) stating what items you want, where you want us to send it and the credit card number (with expiry date) that you want us to charge.
For all orders we suggest that you allow seven working days (in Australia) or longer (overseas) to ensure you have the materials in time for your course. DAN AP is not able to take phone orders.
As a DAN AP Instructor you are in the unique position of being permitted to include the DAN AP Licensed Instructor logo on your website and printed materials. However, there are conditions that must be adhered to. CLICK HERE for full terms and conditions.
Instructor Level Training (Answers)
To be a DAN Instructor you need to be
- 18 years of age
- Have completed the appropriate DAN Provider module
- Be a Scuba Instructor with an accredited agency, or in some cases an Assistant Instructor or Divemaster
- Be a DAN AP Member or Subscriber
Within Australia Instructors must have the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (TAE or TAA).
The fees for DAN Instructor programs are set by the Instructor-Trainers. In addition to course fees, you will be required to purchase DAN Membership.
You will need to contact the DAN AP Training department and advise them that you wish to register to teach DAN courses in this Region. They will then advise you what additional requirements will need to be met before you are able to teach in this Region. Requirements will include (but may not be limited to) completing a DAN AP Membership/Subscription and signing the DAN AP License Agreement. You may also be required to attend an orientation session or update depending on your teaching history and the country you wish to operate in.
As above, with the additional requirement of completing a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment Contact DAN AP Training (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss this.
DAN AP doesn’t list Instructors on this website unless they send us details of what courses, dates and contacts they wish for us to display. This needs to be updated regularly.
To maintain teaching status a DAN Instructor must maintain their DAN AP Membership/Subscription, pay the annual renewal fee and complete the renewal form, have taught the required courses (as listed under the re-accreditation sections in the DAN AP Instructor manual) and completed a skills assessment within the required period. Renewal is not an automatic process. All Instructors must be accepted for Renewal by the DAN AP Director of Training.
All the paperwork requirements are listed in the relevant section of the DAN IT Manual. Required paperwork for any DAN Instructor course consists of:
- A completed roster showing every candidate, course date and location
- Completed DAN AP registration forms for each student
- A completed and signed License Agreement for each student
- Copies of Scuba Instructor rating and relevant provider certifications
- Copies of corrected exam answer papers (Australia and NZ only)
- Copy of the participant’s Certificate IV Training and Assessment (Australia Only).
The IT must sight all originals and the IT should sign copies. All candidates should also provide evidence of DAN AP membership or a completed DAN AP Membership application.BACK